Tips for Healthy Eating
Posted on May 18, 2011
The American Heart Association offers these tips for healthy eating:
- Eat only as many calories as you burn.
- Eat a variety of nutrient-rich foods.
- Eat plenty of vegetables and fruit.
- Choose whole grains.
- Eat fish twice a week.
- Avoid nutrient-poor foods.
- Limit the amount of cholesterol, saturated fat and trans fat you eat.
- Choose lean means and poultry without the skin; prepare them without added saturated and trans fats.
- Select fat-free or low-fat dairy products.
- Eat fewer foods containing partially hydrogenated vegetable oils.
- Eat fewer foods high in dietary cholesterol.
- Cut back on beverages with added sugars.
- Choose and prepare foods with little or no salt.
- Drink only in moderation.
- Choose low-fat, low-salt meals when dining out.
- Read the nutrition labels and ingredient lists before buying your food.