You often know when something isn’t quite right. It may be a dull nagging ache, an occasional sharp pain, an unusual lump, or a general symptom like fatigue. Whether you have a concern, or a doctor’s examination raises a question, finding the answer may begin with diagnostic imaging services.
The McDowell Hospital Imaging Department is open 24/7 because we know that early detection and prompt testing make a difference to your treatment. Our certified technicians perform over 35,000 procedures a year. That’s experience you can count on. They’re prepared to walk you through the process and keep you as comfortable as possible while they run diagnostic procedures.
If you experience any pain or discomfort, please talk with your physician because you’ll need a referral to McDowell Hospital’s Imaging Department. If you have any questions, call 828-659-5160 or contact us using our online form.
McDowell Hospital’s Imaging Department is accredited by the American College of Radiology (ACR) in CT scans, mammography, ultrasound and MRI. ACR accreditation is achieved only after our procedures, images, personnel, equipment and quality control procedures are evaluated and approved.
We offer the solid results of traditional x-rays but we’re also equipped with the same advanced technology found in larger hospitals. Our diagnostic services include:
- Digital Mammography: This is the most advanced technology currently available for diagnosing breast cancer. The process is the same as traditional mammography, but digital mammography is quicker, uses less radiation and enables a more accurate diagnosis. Digital mammography gives doctors better visibility using a three dimensional image produced on a high-resolution computer.
- CT Scan: Computed tomography (CT), which is also called a CAT scan, creates a three dimensional image of bones, muscles, organs, tissues and tumors inside the body. CT scans may be used to detect a variety of medical conditions, including broken bones, cancers and internal bleeding.
- Ultrasound: Also called a sonogram, ultrasound uses high-frequency sound waves to look at internal structures. Ultrasound is frequently used to look at the heart, blood vessels, liver, gallbladder and other organs. It’s safe to use during pregnancy to visualize the fetus because ultrasound does not use radiation.
Nuclear Imaging: An image is produced by detecting radiation after a small amount of radioactive material is introduced into the body. This may sound scary, but the procedure uses very little radiation and has no side effects. The radioactive material is often injected but may sometimes be given by mouth. Nuclear imaging is often used to diagnose cancer or to assess how an organ is functioning.
- MRI (magnetic resonance imaging): Equipped with a high-powered magnet for optimum imaging, provides images of organs and structures inside the body, including the brain. MRI arthrograms are also available. McDowell Hospital's MRI is built to maximize a patient’s comfort with a two-way intercom system, patient lighting and a fan.
Specialized Imaging Services
Our professionals perform specialized imaging services, including:
- MRI studies in specialty areas of neurology, musculoskeletal, body and chest
- Vacuum-assisted ultrasound breast biopsy
- High-risk pregnancy ultrasound exams in conjunction with MAHEC family physicians
- Trauma CT exams
- CT-guided biopsy and aspiration
- Lymphoscintigraphy (photoscan of radioactivity in lymph system)
- Nuclear therapies
The McDowell Hospital Imaging Department is dedicated to staying current with the latest imaging techniques needed to diagnose a wide range of medical conditions. Our team includes technicians and physicians from:
- McDowell Hospital Diagnostic Imaging Staff
- Asheville Radiology Associates
Appointments for all services provided at the McDowell Hospital Imaging Department are made only through a referral from your physician.
If you have any questions, please contact us using our online form, or call us at the following phone numbers:
McDowell Hospital Imaging Department: 828-659-5160
McDowell Hospital Imaging Department
430 Rankin Drive
Marion, NC 28752