Few medical relationships span a lifetime and cover such diverse aspects of care as obstetrics and gynecology. You rely on your OB/GYN specialist for everything from regular preventive check-ups to childbirth and medical care when illnesses arise. You need expertise and experience. You want compassion and guidance. You’ll find it all in your own neighborhood.
The physicians of McDowell OB/GYN are skilled practitioners of women’s health services. They provide the full range of health care while listening to their patient’s concerns, answering questions and offering support for women and their family members. They welcome patients—new and old—at their convenient Sugar Hill Road location.
To make an appointment, or if you have any questions or concerns, please call 828-659-3621.
The list of patients we serve is simple: all women of all ages. Whether it’s time for a check-up or you have a problem, if it’s related to women’s health, we’re the team you need.
McDowell OB/GYN physicians offer extensive experience and advanced technology combined with a personal touch; we’re available on-call, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Count on us for medical treatment as well as the education, counseling and preventive care that support ongoing health and wellness.
We begin with routine exams and preventive health care, but our services don’t stop there. McDowell OB/GYN treats the range of gynecological and health maintenance needs encountered throughout a woman’s life:
- Contraceptive counseling and prescriptions
- Counseling and testing for sexually transmitted diseases
- Nutrition, exercise and disease prevention counseling
- Breast health—education, exams, Digital Mammography
- Infertility and preconception counseling
- Prenatal care and labor & delivery
- High risk pregnancy care
- Menopause management and treatment
- Incontinence treatment and support
Your baby will be delivered close to home in McDowell Hospital’s Mother/Baby Unit. Combining advanced medical care with a desire to include the family, McDowell OB/GYN physicians work together with the McDowell Hospital team to create a peaceful and safe experience for new moms, their family members and newborn babies.
- Childbirth education classes
- Infant CPR classes
- Private birthing rooms in labor & delivery allow family and friends to share in the baby’s arrival
- Rooming-in on the Mother/Baby unit—mom and baby stay together in a private room
- Open visitation—we encourage family and friends to visit
- Dedicated surgical suite on the unit for emergencies and cesarean sections
The physicians at McDowell OB/GYN perform traditional and laparoscopic surgeries in the McDowell Hospital Surgery Department, including:
- Tubal ligation
- D&C (Dilation and Curettage)
- Endometriosis surgery
Preventive Healthcare for Women
Long-term gynecologic health depends on regular yearly exams for preventive care. We consider our patients to be partners in care, so we take the time to talk with you and teach about women’s health and lifestyle issues. The McDowell OB/GYN team encourages you to take charge of your health by following these recommendations:
- First gynecological exam and first pap smear by the age of 21
- Pap test beginning with your first gynecological exam, then every 1 to 3 years until the age of 65
- Breast self-exam performed regularly beginning at age 21
- Mammogram beginning at age 40 and repeated every 1 to 2 years
- More frequent exams and testing if you are at an increased risk for cancer. Your doctor will talk to you about potential risk factors for breast, cervical and uterine cancer.
McDowell OB/GYN physicians are board certified practitioners of obstetric and gynecologic medicine. Beyond their medical expertise, they understand a woman’s unique concerns, the important role of family and the sometimes difficult balance that must be achieved for a healthy lifestyle. Count on us to listen first, and then work together with you, to meet all your health and wellness needs.
If you are pregnant and have any type of pain or bleeding, please call 828-659-3621 immediately. If we’re not in the office, our answering service will contact us.
If you have general questions or would like to schedule an appointment, call 828-659-3621.
If you have a non-urgent question, feel free to contact us using McDowell Hospital’s online form.
We participate with most major insurance plans, but please call your insurance provider to verify your coverage for obstetric and gynecologic services.
1633 Sugar Hill Road
Marion, NC 28752
Monday through Friday: 8:00 am to 5:00 pm