Expecting a baby fills your life with excitement, anticipation and sometimes concern if complication arises. We're here to support moms- to be and their families through each phase of pregnancy. And when the time comes to deliver your baby, all the care you need is available in your neighborhood.
McDowell hospital provides complete obstetrical and gynecological services, including childbirth education classes, but we're especially proud of our family centered Labor /Delivery and Mother/baby units. At McDowell Hospital you'll find labor and delivery rooms designed for comfort but equipped with advanced technology, a dedicated operating room located on the unit and a postpartum Mother/Baby unit where babies room with moms and families are always welcome.
Labor and Delivery (LDR)
At McDowell hospital, moms labor, give birth and recover in one private room. Everything you need for a safe labor and delivery is in the Birthing room, including fetal monitors, a bed that pulls apart for delivery and medical equipment. Our rooms have accommodations for both you and your partner including refrigerator, CD player, Flat screen TV, free Wi-Fi and as space allows, friends and family members may remain in the room to share your birthing experience.
- Several options are available for pain management including comfort techniques, IV pain medication and Epidurals. Talk with your physician to determine the best choice to meet your individual needs
- Anesthesiologists are available regardless the time of labor.
- Surgical suite is on the unit for emergencies and to deliver babies by cesarean section.
- Call your physician any time you experience bleeding, sharp pain or if you have any concerns
- Relax at home during the first stage of labor- Until you experience contractions that are 5 minutes apart, lasting 1 minute for at least 1 hour.
- Labor may begin before, or after, your water breaks, but always call your physician if you think your water broke. Be sure to note what time the water broke, how much fluid came out and its color.
Mother and Baby
After mother and baby recover from delivery, they're moved to a private room on the Mother/Baby unit. Unless special medical needs arise, you and your baby stay together in a private room until you are discharges.
McDowell Hospital's Mother/Baby unit creates a safe environment that allows precious time to bond and encourages family and friends to share in the first days of your new baby's life.
- Special Steak Celebration meal
- Refrigerators in each room
- Flat screen TV
- Open Visitation - we encourage visits from family and friends
Important Security Information
The staff of McDowell Hospital is committed to the safety and security of you and your child. In addition to standard procedures, we've installed an added layer of security called Huggs.
- Huggs infant protection. A soft comfortable Huggs tag is placed around each infants ankle; computers monitor the tags and sound an alarm if the tag is removed or the infant is moved to an unauthorized area.
- Security system: unit is locked 24 hours a day, cameras
- Staff identification- All staff members that work in the womens services unit wear special ID badges, learn what they look like
- We will let you know ahead of time if your baby will be moved for tests or procedures. Do not let an unfamiliar person take your baby.
McDowell offers a highly skilled, extensively trained OB team to assist and care for your pregnancy and birthing process. Delivering a baby at McDowell Hospital means that you have access to a team of specialists, including:
- Board certified or Board eligible OB/GYN physicians
- Board Certified anesthesiologists
- Diagnostic imaging specialist
- Registered Nurses
Our nursing staff is comprised of friendly supportive individuals who are dedicated to attending to the unique needs of the mothers to be and their families.
Our nurses are certified in neonatal resuscitation program (NRP), Fetal monitoring and Stable.
We offer several options for child birth and newborn care.
- The basic Part I (taken at 20-28 weeks)
- The basic part 2 (taken at 30-34 weeks)
- The daddy Way
- Grandparent Class
- Weekend Refresher
- Big Brother/Big Sister
Day and evening classes are available. Please call 828-659-5257 for more information.
McDowell Hospital conducts standard newborn test, has emergency procedures in place, and provides referrals to community programs to ensure your health and well-being.
- Newborn testing- Every newborn baby is routinely screened for rare but potential dangerous medical conditions. Your physician or nurse will give you information about the test and answer any questions you might have.
- Newborn Hearing Screen- Every baby born at McDowell Hospital will receive a hearing screening the test is performed while the baby is asleep. The screening provides for early detection and intervention of hearing loss
Home Visit Programs for New Parents
For families that qualify, home visit programs supply access to health services and offer family support.
- McDowell First Steps Program - A registered nurse visits to answer questions see how mother and baby are doing and assist with Breastfeeding if needed. The nurse will set up a doctor's appointment if you or your baby need medical care and she'll follow-up with a phone call to see if you need any other help. If you have any questions about the First Steps program please call 828-659-5415
- McDowell Healthy Start - For first time moms, this program is designed to give support and information to all members of the family. A Family Support Worker will help whatever issues you face after you bring n to all members of the family. A Family Support Worker will help whatever issues you face after you bring your new baby home and throughout the first three years of your child's life. If you'd like to talk with a nurse about Healthy Start. Please call 828-659-5427.
At McDowell Hospital you will find services for women and their families that focus on quality, safety. Our goal is EXCELLENT care.
Appointments and Information
If you have any questions, contact us using our online form or call the hospital at 828-659-5000.
To make an appointment with a McDowell OB/GYN physician, please call 828-659-3621.
Childbirth Education Classes: Call 828-659-5330 to enroll in childbirth education classes.
We participate with most insurance plans and will file an insurance claim, but please check with your insurance provider to verify your benefits and their authorization requirements.
Mother and Baby
430 Rankin Dr.
Marion, NC 28752