McDowell Hospital values our visitors. You have an important role in the well-being and recovery of your friends, family and loved ones. However, our patients need adequate time for rest and recuperation so they can return home as soon as possible. To ensure their quickest recovery, we ask you to respect our visiting hours and hospital-wide health guidelines.
General Visiting Hours are 9:00 am to 9:00 pm Daily
Due to the level of care provided in the following departments, more restrictive visiting hours or special guidelines may be in place. Please call the nursing unit or 828-659-5000 before visiting to ask about their visitation guidelines:
- Intensive Care Unit (ICU)
- Labor and Delivery
IMPORTANT NOTE TO ALL GUESTS
To protect the health of all patients, and the community, ANYONE with certain conditions should NOT be a guest at McDowell Hospital.
Please do NOT visit the hospital if you have any of the following. These conditions could spread illnesses that seriously compromise the health of our patients:
- Sore throat
- Upper respiratory infection
- Any infectious condition
- Exposed to chicken pox, measles or mumps within the last three weeks
If you want to stay with a loved one beyond visiting hours, or would like to arrange for an overnight visit, please talk to the Nursing Unit Supervisor.
- No Smoking Please. We are a tobacco-free campus. Patients, visitors, and staff may not smoke anywhere inside the hospital or on the hospital campus.
- Dress Code. Visitors to McDowell Hospital must dress appropriately and must wear shirts and shoes.
Just as our expert health team works together to heal patients, McDowell Hospital provides special services to support the needs of our guests.
- Spiritual Care: In addition to the chapel located on the first floor, local pastors are available to support patients, families and visitors. Please call 828-659-5000 or 828-659-5112 for schedules and information.
- Interpretation Services: If you need to speak with an interpreter, or would like to have one with you when you visit the hospital, please call 828-659-5000.
Patients at McDowell Hospital choose whether they want to be listed in our directory and whether they want to receive calls while in the hospital. If a patient decides to be in the directory, then we can tell callers their room number, otherwise we do not provide any information about their condition.
If a patient does not choose to be listed in the directory, then we must tell anyone who calls for information that we have no listing for a patient of that name. This is determined by federal law designed to protect patient privacy.
The Mountain View Café is open to the public for breakfast, lunch and dinner every day of the week, including weekends and holidays. If you’d like to eat in the patient’s room, you can order food to take-out, or you can ask the attending nurse to order a guest tray to be served at the same time as the patient’s meal tray. Please go to the cafeteria web page for the weekly menu and patient meal schedule.
Cafeteria hours are 6:30 am to 6:00 pm:
Hot & Cold Breakfast: 6:30 am to 8:00 am
Continental Breakfast: 8:00 am to 10:30 am
Lunch: 11:30 am to 1:15 pm
Dinner: 5:00 pm to 6:00 pm
Snacks and Drinks: 6:30 am to 6:00 pm (except when closed as noted below)
Cafeteria closed each day: 11:00 am to 11:30 am and 4:15 pm to 5:00 pm.
Vending machines are available just off the main lobby and outside the main doors of the Emergency Department.
McDowell’s Window Box Gift Shop carries flowers, cards, toys, gifts, candy, books, snacks and personal essentials. Please follow the link to the gift shop web page, or call 828-659-5000 if you’d like to order flowers or ask any questions.