On the path to becoming a cancer survivor, you will face many complex challenges. However, two hurdles have already been removed: you do not need to worry about finding first-rate treatment and you don’t have to leave home to get it.
McDowell Cancer Care Partners. Our name says it all. We are your partners in the fight to overcome cancer. We created McDowell Cancer Care Partners to provide the resources you will need to prevent, diagnose and treat cancer … here in McDowell County.
If you have any questions or would like to make an appointment, contact us using our convenient online form , or call us at 828-659-5364.
We understand that the diagnosis of cancer is overwhelming. It impacts emotional, medical and financial well-being, and affects not just the patient, but also their family, friends and colleagues. Through generous start-up funding from The Duke Endowment, we formed a coalition of professionals to meet the multiple challenges of cancer, with a special emphasis on breast cancer awareness and treatment. Our partners include:
- McDowell Hospital
- McDowell Urgent Care  of McDowell Hospital
- McDowell Surgical Services 
- 21st Century Oncology
- McDowell County Health Department
- American Cancer Society
- Mission Health System
- Cancer Centers of Western North Carolina, Asheville Hematology/Oncology
The nurse navigator is the heart of our partnership. A nurse navigator is a registered nurse specially trained to help cancer patients and their families through screening and treatment. Our nurse navigator ensures you are not alone. Available to walk with you through every step of the process, the nurse navigator will:
- Explain: Help you understand the diagnosis and treatment options.
- Accompany: Go with you to appointments. You gain a trusted professional with first-hand knowledge of your individual diagnosis and treatment plan.
- Encourage: Any time you or a family member want support, encouragement or just need to talk.
- Advocate: Connect you to the appropriate support and treatment services available through McDowell Cancer Care Partners, including financial counseling, support groups and treatment options.
Prevention and Early Detection
It’s never too late to learn the lifestyle changes that help prevent cancer. Early detection is so important because it improves your chances of surviving cancer. We are dedicated to serving the members of our community by increasing cancer awareness and providing early detection.
- Cancer awareness programs: Our nurse navigator is available to talk to churches, schools, or any community organization about issues such as preventing cancer by avoiding risk factors, recognizing the symptoms, and how-to obtain screening.
- Examinations for women with low income: The McDowell County Health Department gives breast and cervical examinations for women who meet income requirements through the Breast Cancer Education Project.
- Breast Cancer Screening: McDowell Hospital is equipped with digital mammography, which uses less radiation, creates more precise diagnostic images, and allows earlier diagnosis.
Diagnostic and Treatment Services
Specialized treatment using advanced technology is available through our partners right here in McDowell County. Our physicians, nurses and therapists bring quality care through extensive experience.
- Specialists: McDowell Cancer Care Partners combines specialists from all the medical specialty areas needed to ensure quality care for people with cancer. Your options for diagnosis and treatment are met by medical and radiation oncologists, radiologists, pathologists and surgeons.
- Digital Mammography: The best technology currently available to detect breast cancer. It delivers less radiation and detects cancer better than conventional mammography. Learn more .
- Vacuum Assisted Biopsy: Vacuum assisted biopsies use digital mammography or ultrasound to guide a needle directly to breast tumors. With only one small incision, multiple tissue samples may be obtained.
- Radiation Therapy: The doctors at 21st Century Oncology are grounded in the latest research and experienced in radiation techniques for treating cancer.
- Outpatient Infusion Department: McDowell Hospital offers chemotherapy, medications, blood transfusions and other medical treatments on an outpatient basis.
At McDowell Cancer Care Partners, we don’t just offer physical care. We understand that cancer takes a toll on emotional, spiritual and personal resources. Rely on our partners providing support:
- Hugs 4 Life: A support group for cancer patients, survivors and family members. Gain information, strength and inspiration from others who share the experience of cancer. Meetings are held monthly at McDowell Hospital.
- Reach to Recovery: This program is available to breast cancer patients and survivors. Managed by the American Cancer Society, Reach to Recovery volunteers are breast cancer survivors who have been trained to give one-on-one emotional support and advice from their experience.
- Look Good…Feel Better: Beauty consultations provided by the American Cancer Society to teach cancer patients how to cope with the effect of chemotherapy and radiation on appearance.
- Wig Program: The McDowell Health Department and American Cancer Society work together to ensure that patients who have lost their hair have access to low-cost or free wigs.
- Pastoral Care Program: Nondenominational spiritual support is available to patients and their families.
You need to give all your energy to recovery, so don’t let financial concerns add to your stress. The McDowell Cancer Care Partners address this need through financial counseling at McDowell Hospital. They will guide you through the insurance process and work with you to develop an affordable payment plan for costs not covered by insurance, Medicaid or Medicare. Under some circumstances, assistance with prescription or transportation costs may be available.
Appointments and Information
If you have any questions or would like to make an appointment, contact us using our convenient online form , or call us at:
McDowell Hospital – 828-659-5000
Hours and Location
McDowell Cancer Care Partners
430 Rankin Dr.
Marion, NC 28752
Hours: 8:00 am to 4:30 pm