When movement causes pain, an injury knocks you out of the game, you need to recover from surgery, or other conditions interfere with your ability to function; our team is here to help. We work together with you to rehabilitate…to restore…your physical performance so that you can return to the best life possible.
McDowell Rehabilitation Services is a department of McDowell Hospital that delivers physical therapy, occupational therapy and speech therapy. Our specialists use diverse types of therapy and structured exercise to prevent injury, improve your strength, increase mobility, reduce pain and build skills. We work with you while you’re in the hospital, we have a well-equipped outpatient facility and our athletic trainer works in the community with McDowell County students. No matter where services are provided, our goal is to help you maintain wellness and regain maximum health.
If you would like to receive rehabilitative therapy, please talk to your doctor because you need a referral to McDowell Rehabilitation Services. If you have questions or need to make an appointment, contact us using our online form, or call 828-652-8300.
Our patients share one thing in common: they have a limitation that impacts the quality of their daily life. But there are many possible causes and conditions that bring patients to rehabilitation, so a unique plan is created for each individual.
You are the most important part of the team; the more you participate, the more your range of motion improves and your body builds strength. We’re here to support and motivate you every step of the way. In addition to physical, occupational and speech-language therapy, we’ll teach you techniques for self-care and develop a home exercise program.
Physical Therapy: Licensed physical therapists care for people of all ages facing different conditions that limit their physical ability to move, including:
- Sports or work-related injuries
- Orthopedic conditions
- Joint replacements
- Post-surgical recovery
- Heart and lung disease
- Congenital conditions
Occupational Therapy: This type of therapy helps you perform daily tasks that have become difficult or impossible due to illness, injury or disability. If needed, occupational therapists evaluate your home or job site and make recommendations for adaptive equipment. They treat a wide variety of conditions including:
- Limitations due to stroke or diabetes
- Chronic health conditions such as arthritis or multiple sclerosis
- Developmental disabilities
- Cognitive and perceptual problems
- Communication and swallowing disorders.
- Speech, Language and Swallowing Therapy: Also called speech-language pathologists, these therapists evaluate, diagnose and treat speech, language, cognitive-communication and swallowing disorders in children and adults. These disorders include a range of symptoms such as stuttering, inability to articulate properly or difficulty swallowing and can be caused by different medical conditions, brain injury or learning and developmental disabilities.
Your therapy begins with an expert evaluation and development of an individualized plan to meet your treatment goals. The therapists at McDowell Rehabilitation Services are experienced in many different techniques used to implement therapies. Our training includes specialty areas such as balance, sports injuries, shoulder and knee rehab, geriatrics and the McKenzie Method of Mechanical Diagnosis and Therapy, which focuses on exercises to treat and prevent back and neck pain.
Inpatients at McDowell Hospital receive rehabilitation services under close medical supervision. If you have an injury, acute illness such as a heart attack or stroke, or had surgery, your physician may recommend physical, occupational or speech therapy. Therapists from McDowell Rehabilitation Services are available seven days a week while you’re in the hospital and we’ll be sure essential therapy continues after you’re discharged.
McDowell Rehabilitation Services maintains an outpatient facility adjacent to Corpening Memorial YMCA. Our advanced equipment, complete gym and a private therapeutic pool—together with hands-on therapy and individualized training programs—provide treatment to restore optimal functioning. When you’re ready to transition out of structured therapy, we’ll help you build your own fitness program right next door at the YMCA.
If you would like to schedule an appointment for services at our outpatient rehabilitation location, please call 828-652-8300.
Specialized Outpatient and Community Services
As skilled providers of rehabilitation services, we’re proud to offer specialized services to the McDowell community:
- Aquatic therapy treatment—provided by licensed clinicians; paid by insurance
- Balance assessment with NeuroCom®, a computerized system that analyzes sensory and motor issues related to balance and enables targeted treatment
- Screening for fall prevention
- Orthotic and prosthetic training
- Orthotic, prosthetic and wheelchair assessments
- Screening for physical/sports injuries
- Concept 2 rowing machine
- Massage therapy—30, 60 or 90 minute sessions at reduced rates for patients
- Community wellness pool classes—group class that’s supervised but instruction is not provided
Sports Medicine Program
McDowell Hospital Sports Medicine puts our commitment to the community into real practice. Available to middle and high school students in the McDowell County public school system, the sports medicine program offers quality sports training and healthcare through a team approach. The program provides:
- Dedicated athletic trainer to support students and coaches
- Rehabilitative services
- On-site medical coverage at home football games
- Sports physicals at no costs to middle and high school athletes
- Training equipment supplied by McDowell Hospital
- Injury clinics for football players
The Sports Medicine Program uses a multidisciplinary team to promote comprehensive treatment:
- Board certified orthopedic surgeons
- Board certified family practice physicians
- Certified athletic trainer
- Licensed physical therapists
- Licensed PT assistants
- Licensed occupational therapists
- Certified OT assistants
Training and experience determine quality of care…and that’s where we excel. All of our therapists are licensed by the North Carolina State Boards and many have 20 or more years of experience. At McDowell Rehabilitation Services the therapists use advanced technology and keep up with evolving therapeutic techniques and exercise regimes. Beyond experience, our team delivers compassionate care, and that’s the difference you’ll notice. Rely on our solid experience to support you throughout the hard work of rehabilitation.
Appointments and Information
All rehabilitation services require a referral, so please talk with your physician about whether rehabilitation may improve your condition.
If you have questions, contact us at any time using our convenient online form.
Inpatient services: For more information about inpatient services, please call 828-659-5185.
Outpatient services: If you have a referral and would like to schedule an appointment for outpatient services, or if we can help answer your questions, please call 828-652-8300.
Community wellness pool classes: Call 828-652-8300 for information about class schedules and fees.
Massage therapy: For information and to make an appointment for massage therapy at the outpatient clinic, call 828-652-8300.
Orthotic, prosthetic and wheelchair clinic: Held monthly at the outpatient facility. To schedule an appointment please call Orthopedic Appliance at 828-254-6305.
Locations and Hours
430 Rankin Dr.
Marion, NC 28752
828-659-5185 / Fax 828-659-5383
Corpening Memorial YMCA/REHAB
348 Grace Corpening Dr., Suite A
Marion, NC 28752
Office Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 4:30 pm
828-652-8300 / Fax 828-652-8365
Sports Medicine Program
McDowell High School
600 McDowell High Drive
Marion, NC 28752
828-925-0229 / Alternate 828-652-8300