MERIT Core Values
McDowell Hospital promotes five core values: Mercy, Excellence, Respect, Integrity andTrust... MERIT. Everyone at the hospital follows these guiding principles as they deliver care and interact with patients, guests and one another.
- Mercy is the cornerstone of McDowell Hospital. Characterized by sympathetic care for all who are in pain, mercy is the element of compassion we use while helping to heal the emotional, physical, intellectual and spiritual needs of the community. We choose to honor empathy and understanding as two of nature’s healing gifts.
- Excellence is providing professional and reliable services in a consistent manner, striving for extraordinary results. It means continual improvement in every aspect of our care, service and management so that we meet—and exceed—the needs of those we serve. It is characterized by quality and commitment to maintaining the highest standards of healthcare services.
- Respect is acting with integrity, holding the people we serve, as well as those we work with, in high esteem. It recognizes and honors differences among people, valuing our diversity. Respect is characterized by focusing on the innate worth of each individual.
- Integrity is the firm adherence to our values, regardless of the challenges we might face. It values honesty in all dealings and interactions. It means we perform our jobs in an ethical manner, following MERIT principles. Integrity is characterized by an incorruptible commitment to our mission.
- Trust is an assured reliance on the character, ability, strength and truth of someone or something over time and no matter what the circumstance. It is the foundation used to build teamwork. Trust is characterized by reliability and predictability in words and actions.
As we look forward, our goals remain constant: to promote health education, provide preventive medicine and sustain wellness while growing to meet the evolving healthcare needs of our community. We proceed with a clear vision; one that’s grounded in past experience, flexible to accommodate future change and supported by team members who are part of your community and dedicated to MERIT values.