Many rural communities face a shortage of doctors and have limited medical services…but not McDowell. Our community proudly boasts a full-service acute-care hospital that attracts skilled medical professionals and that delivers health care to everyone in the community, regardless of their financial circumstances.
Open for Everyone.
McDowell Hospital provides over $3 million a year in unreimbursed charity care to patients who cannot afford to pay, and might otherwise remain untreated.
Despite rising costs, our commitment to advanced technology and services ensures you receive top-notch treatment.
You don’t have to travel outside the community no matter what your health care needs.
Emergency Care Close to Home.
Specialized emergency medicine physicians ready 24/7, close to home.
We do not receive local tax support. So how do we continue to deliver exceptional health care?
We depend on the generosity of the community we serve and the McDowell Hospital Foundation, which is committed to funding new and improved services.
McDowell Hospital Foundation
The McDowell Hospital Foundation is staffed by a dedicated team with one mission: to find and administer the funding that allows us to not simply maintain, but to expand the medical facility and health care services for this community.
Your medical care is partly supported by the Foundation’s efforts to secure government grants, state and federal funding, and substantial gifts from private foundations that fund educational activities, special needs projects and facility enhancements. However, we also depend on donations from the community.
How can you help support McDowell Hospital?
Your financial support makes a difference. It is the edge we need to ensure that everyone in the community receives essential health care.
Your donations are used for the programs that benefit our patients and the community. Donations may be unrestricted or you may prefer to contribute toward a specific program:
- Unrestricted gift: These funds will be assigned to the program or service the Foundation feels will best serve McDowell Hospital and the community.
Specify a program or service: You may designate the program or service you’d like your donation to help. We would be glad to talk to you about our most current needs. Possible funding opportunities include:
- Pet therapy – exciting and proven program that uses pets to help patients through the healing process
- Equipment updates – infant security system, lifepacks for patients
- Cancer care – medicine and transportation for patients, educational supplies, indigent care such as screenings
- Outreach programs – for our mothers & babies, including at-home support
- Diabetes program – indigent care and medicine
Gifts and Trusts
Please visit our Make a Donation web page, or call the Development Office at 828-659-5713, for more information about making a donation through planned giving, charitable trusts, life income giving and testamentary gifts.
We always welcome and appreciate donations of your time to help support McDowell Hospital. A variety of opportunities exist:
- Blood donations: The health of our patients depends on maintaining an adequate supply of blood. We operate quarterly blood drives…your donation makes a difference.
- Pet therapy: This program welcomes your involvement as a dog/human team or as a leash-less volunteer.
Special events and programs:
- Organize a fund-raising event – individuals and corporations may get involved by organizing any type of fund-raising activity, from bake sales to dinners, dances and auctions.
- Volunteer to help with planned fund-raising activities – call the Development Office at 828-659-5713 to learn more about volunteer opportunities.
Wall of Remembrance
We recognize our donors as the stars they are by engraving their names on stars that are permanently placed on the Wall of Remembrance. Donors may also choose to engrave someone else’s name in their honor or memory. Please contact the Development Office at the number below for more information.
We can’t adequately express how thankful we are for your donation. Without your support, McDowell Hospital would not be able to provide the level of care and services offered to our community. As your neighborhood hospital, we return your giving and generous spirit through skilled medical services delivered by staff that truly cares.
With heartfelt thanks to our community,
The McDowell Hospital Foundation
Contact the Development Office:
Hours: Monday – Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
Please take time to explore these web pages to learn more about supporting programs at McDowell Hospital:
News  – stay up-to-date with important events and projects
Funding Goals  – this page lists some of our current programs and projects
Make a Donation  – more information about types of gifts and how to donate
Meet Our Donors  – where we acknowledge those who help support McDowell Hospital